So last night Rebecca had "the talk" with Isabella about things she can expect from her body in the coming years.
It was just the first talk of many talks we plan on having with her. Isabella is in fifth grade, which is when our school system begins Sex Education. I am 100% in favor of the school teaching Sex Ed, but I am also 100% in favor of parents teaching it too. My parents did ZERO sex talks with me. I remember once in middle school asking my mother what foreplay was. She went red and started stuttering. I figured it out on my own. Everything I learned about men, women and sex I learned on the bus or from secret whispers from friends. I didn't believe any of it. It was all just way too unbelievable. It all turned out to be true.
But I digress...
So Rebecca had the first talk with Isabella about periods. Rebecca said something to the effect of, "Pretty soon you and your girl friends will start having periods," and Isabella burst out, "No, I don't want to get a period. Hannah's mom got a period at Christmas and it ruined the holiday for everyone."
Wow. Why did my parents want to miss all this?
Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
We went through the same situation when our daughter was in 5th grade. Last year she was a freshman and had to take the more "detailed" sex ed class. She was a bit freaked out by it all, especially the stuff about AIDS. They had to watch "Philadelphia" which upset her very much. Then, of course, they learned about conception and childbirth with yet another movie. The teacher gave the students permission to put their heads down during the birth scene if they wanted, which she did. I didn't see that movie until I attended childbirth classes with my husband. I thought he was going to faint! She made it through the class and got an A. Whew!
Post a Comment