Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Ill Advised

I like to wander a little around the city before I reluctantly head on into work.  While I'm on these little walks occasionally I'll come across something that just seems like it wasn't well thought out.  I'll tag these with the label "ill advised".


I have to say it - and if you aren't thinking it then you should be - "Ju-Tox" is an awful name.

Seriously?  JU and TOX.  No.  This is ill advised.  Someone either failed to run this name by their more responsible family member or the more responsible family member was either drunk or angry or both.

First lets talk about the TOX part.  I assume that tox is meant to be an abbreviation of detox, but detox is already an abbreviation of detoxification.  You cannot abbreviate abbreviated words.  It gets confusing.  The DE in detoxification is a prefix which means "to remove".  If you take the DE out of detoxification, then you have toxification, which isn't a word, or you have toxication, which is.  Toxication means poisoning.  So best case scenario Tox means leaving in the toxin.  Worse case scenario it means actually poisoning someone.

Ok, now we have to talk about the JU.

Look, I know that Ju is supposed to be short for juice, but it doesn't sound that way.  It sounds like Jew.  And that is just wrong.

If we ignore the obvious religious overtones, and I don't think we should, we still have the serious problem of the TOX.  If JU is for juice then the best I can guess from the name alone is that this store is selling juiced poison.

But maybe that's the point.  Maybe this is a "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" juice joint.

Owner:     What can I get you kind patron?
Patron:     I had the Liquid Nicotine yesterday.  It was good, but I want something new today.
Owner:     How about the Chocolate Asbestos?
Patron:     Yeah, that sounds great.  Can I get extra oxidants added to that?
Owner:     Sure.  For an extra dollar I can also add tar.
Patron:     Go for it!


This lovely picture I posted to my Instragram about a year ago.  In case it is not obvious this is a delivery van for some alcohol that George Clooney endorses.  I'm sure it's delicious (if you like that kind of thing) and that it costs a fortune.

But I didn't take the photo because the drink looked bad.  I took the picture because of the slogan written across the bottom of the DELIVERY TRUCK.  "Brought to you by those who drink it."

Now I will admit that it doesn't say, "Brought to you by those who are currently drinking it," but it does leave the possibility open.  I think this phrase was ill advised.  It needs a quick rewrite.

No comments: