Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ouch!

I got the super smack-down today. Or, yesterday. I don't know.

I post to a lot of art blogs. And I don't know about you, but I like to say a little more than, "Cool man," or, "That's great," or something that I could say without actually ever looking at the art. Not that I get upset when I receive posts like that. But I always like it when someone leaves a comment that shows that not only did s/he view/read my post, but that s/he considered it thoughtfully. And ok, I try to make it funny.

Well, as may be obvious from reading this blog, I have been known to get carried away. And in getting carried away sometimes these thoughtful and well considered comments become more about me being funny than they are about the art I am commenting on, thus totally destroying whatever integrity my mission of being considerate and thoughtful might have once claimed.

http://avalanchesoftware.blogspot.com/2007/09/theres-gotta-be-crying-fairy.html

So I was at this blog and I made a comment about this painting. The purpose of the painting was to be INTENTIONALLY bad fantasy art. So it is supposed to be uber cheesy and cliched. So I made some comment about this painting drawing in the goth-girl crowd and these are some of the comments my comment received:

XXX said...
thank you antishakespeare for a glimpse into your pathetic life of vulgarity. There are probably better forums for your "creativity" than this art blog. Branch out...then cut the branch off. Oh, Casey, nice painting by the way.
September 14, 2007
---


OUCH! Ok, perhaps my comment was self indulgent and unnecessary, but vulgar? Was I vulgar? I really can't remember. My comment was deleted and I have no recording of it, so I don't know what I said. But wow, it was enough to make him call me pathetic. Sadly, I like the art this commentor usually posts.

XXX (blog administrator) said...
Nice image casey. aintshakespeare, your first comment has been deleted. I left your second up but in the future please refrain from comments that could be offensive. We create family entertainment and have a wide range of ages that visit this blog. Lets keep it clean and refrain from comments involving genitalia. Peace.
September 14, 2007
---


HOLY CRAP!!!! Genitalia??? Did I use such language in a comment? I must have really gotten carried away. I mean, sure, on my own site I might say such things, but in a comment on another blog? How can I have possibly wandered into the neather regions and naughty places of the body in the small space of a blog comment? I think I only said "pierced nipple," ...but please God, don't let me have said vagina.

How embarrassing.

Maybe I should have a Day After clause. If I think of a comment then I write it down. Then, 24 hours later I reveiw my comments and if I find them to be appropriate I'll submit them. Otherwise I'll trash them. I wonder how often I'd actually post if I instituted such a rule.

Anyway. I apologized. I can be a big guy and admit when I'm wrong. It happens often enough that I am old hat at eating crow. It does not taste like chicken. It tastes like hummility.

Aintshakespear said...
Ok, fellas, sorry. I guess I got carried away. My comments should be about the art.I actually like this piece. The melodrama -tears, skulls, and watery eyes- are classic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's cool.

Anonymous said...

haha:)

I wonder what they would think
of Georgia O'Keefe? or Keith Haring?

21st century.
and people are still scared about
their bodies? seems medieval

Tolerance is a bitch when you are dealing with what seems to be a brick wall, namely people who live
by a prescribed dogma, and are afraid to leave the safety of it
to experience something unique.

aintshakespeare said...

Yeah, I don't really mind. I think it is ludicrous for adults to pretend that they are so sensitive about sex and the body.

On the other hand, as a parent I fully appreciate the desire to have places that are safe from certain topics. I'm not sure how plausible/responsible it is, but I understand it.

I'll follow their rules. I don't mind.

Incidentally, the site is run and updated by Disney artists. So now my wife and I joke that Disney called me vulgar.

S.T. Lewis said...

Sorry about the not so tactful way your comment was responded to on our blog. I, for one, felt bad that someone from outside of the studio was responded to in that way. We talk to each other like that, but that's different. I know we all have kids who look at our blogs... but there's better ways to say that. Sorry about the smack down.

aintshakespeare said...

ST Lewis: Don't feel bad. As I have said I try to tailor my comments to be appropriate to the blog I am visiting. If I were commenting to a child's blog I would never have said things about nipples or whatever. Likewise I should be sensitive when I am on a blog that children will LIKELY visit. And a Disney affiliated blog is one that children will likely visit. I do not feel offended, nor do I feel unwelcomed at the site. I will, however, never mention nipples again on that blog. And that is a burden we will all have to bear. :)