Tuesday, September 04, 2007

DRAGON CON

So I finally broke down and went to a Dragon Con.

I never had the courage to admit to my wife that I wanted to go before. I guess I was afraid it would be the geek-straw that broke the cool camel's back. When we first started dating I was totally into indie-music, I was in a band, I had written several songs... et cetera. That facade has slowly cracked and chipped to reveal a comic book reading, cartoon watching, fantasy loving boy.

Anyway, last Wednesday I suggested that we go for just one day to Dragon Con. She said, "Are you kidding?" And I said, "Yes, of course I am. That would be so totally lame." I thought I had recovered from that divorce pretty nicely. But my wife has always been able to read the truth in such situations. And in fairness to her, she has never ever made me feel like a geek/nerd/dork/whatever, even when I totally deserved it.

So that Friday my wife called me at work and said that she was considering attending the Con. YAY!

We went on Sunday. There was no line at all, which was nice because it was 1000% humidity outside.

This year we decided that since we had never been this would be a reconnaissance mission; we'd scope it out for next year. We walked the whole thing, all three hotels worth, in about three hours. Rebecca's back was hurting when we finished and the next day I got a most unholy cramp in my foot.

I saw some really cool celebs. Lou Ferigno (the Hulk) was there, Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers), Erin Gray (the hot chick from Buck Rogers), James Marsten (Spike from Buffy the Vamp Slayer), Peter Mayhew (Chewbaccaa), Richard LeParmentier (General Motti from Star Wars), and William Katt (the Greatest American Hero), though he wasn't at the signing booth so I didn't get to see him. I didn't get any autographs because I've never really wanted to collect those. But I did get my picture next to the absolute coolest celebrity there:

R2D2. He and his twin brother, Bob2D2 were there. You probably didn't know R2 was one of twins. Well, this picture proves it. That chubby guy to the left clearly couldn't tell the difference, but I am standing next to the real R2.

Bob2D2 did some stand in work for R2 during the movies. He always had a chip on his shoulder because R2 got the part. But when you see them up close it is clear that R2 was deserving. They look about as similar as Sylvester and Frank Stalone. Frank was at the convention, by the way.

Anyway, Bob2 let the celebrity get to him. He sank into a life of drugs and home-brewed motor oil. He actually pulled a knife on me while I was there. He went off asking if he wasn't good enough for me, and why did I like R2 better. The hotel security had to escort him back to his room so he could pass out. It was really sad. I saw a tear drop from R2's eye.


Oh, I did see one more celebrity. Doc Hammer was there! He is a writer for the Venture Brothers. Not to mention an artist and musician. He was not signing autographs (I would have gotten his). I saw him smoking outside one of the hotels talking to some chicks. You would be proud of me. I managed to compose myself as Rebecca and I passed. We were a good twenty yards away before I went into full fledged conniption fit. My wife, the ever cool, did not flinch. But then, she's not as big a fan as I am either. Had it been Johnny Depp I'd have probably come home alone.

Anyway, it was great fun. I highly recommend it. But if you go expect a crowd and allow yourself many breaks to sit and eat and catch your breath. You will have fun. If for no other reason that to look at all of the wonderful costumes all of these fans make and wear to pay hommage to their favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy characters.

No comments: