Friday, September 16, 2016

Trucks and, to a Lesser Degree, Buses



There are occasions where I am inspired to write poetry.  Usually in the darker parts of the year when the sun crawls out of bed just long enough to count as a day, then retires to the south before the out of school are out of work.  For we who are solar powered it can be a soul dragging period.  So I write poetry.  And sometimes I write poetry to make myself laugh.

In truth, I cannot remember if the following poem was written when I was in a dark or light place.  Either way, poetry magazine rejected it.


Trucks and, to a Lesser Degree, Buses

I hate trucks.
Next to the sky scraper,
Tall and majestic,
With its sleek granite sides,
Reaching for heaven
And pulling my eyes with it
Into the skies,
I almost find peace.
The awful noise
Of the truck
And its gagging
Anti-air
Yanks me from my reverent
Wonderment
At our feats of engineering.
And I think,
We have so far to go.

I hate trucks.
Buses are scarcely better.
Headphones cannot defend
Against their noise.
Like conservative radio
It seeps in
And ruins everything.
The screaming behemoths!
And they always pass
At the most poignant,
Significant part of the song.
I could rewind it,
But the moment is lost.

No comments: