You may have noticed that this is not your typical letter seeking a job. I was very informal. I spoke about personal issues, I made a veiled referrence to the employees of Adult Swim as losers, and I cussed. On top of that I gave no contact information, save my name.
I want you to know that I am not so thick as to think this would work in a normal business situation. But Adult Swim is not a normal business, and writing is not a normal industry. Normal won't work here. I am taking drastic measures.
I am attempting to land a job as a writer, so it just won't do to send some lame-ass letter rattling off all of the ways I feel I am qualified for the job. I have to write. But there is no way in the firey furnace of Hades that I'm going to get anyone to sit down and read page after page of written material, full of plot, character developement, alliteration, metaphore, semaphore, and whatever other literary bullshit devices you can think of. It won't happen.
Part of the plan is to send a single page of fresh material each day. Each letter is short and self contained, so if someone new opened Letter 4 they would be able to appreciate it for what it was; a short bit of writing. And hopefully, day after day they will begin to look forward to the letters, and by the time I send my portfolio they will be familiar with my writing and thus they will be more than willing to peruse the material.
This is why I did not give contact information. I know full well more letters will be coming. This is why I was so informal. The letter isn't really to pursuade them for a job, but to show them my skills in the hopes that they will be persuaded. Further, I am hoping that the reader of the letter will find it so abnormal, so atypical that they will be intrigued. I am hoping that after a few days they will anticipate the next letter; they will want it. That would be the ultimate success.
Incidentally, I didn't say the employees at Adult Swim were losers. My wife did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment