Thursday, December 06, 2007

The mouths of babes.

I know people hate it when other people talk about their kids. Especially those dumb things that kids say all the time.

But my kids are better than other kids, so you will read and suffer.

The other day I was driving the kids to the dentist and my seven year old daughter said, "Daddy, do you think that your next baby will be a boy or a girl?"

"Sweetheart," I said, "Mommy and daddy aren't trying to have a baby right now."

"I know," she said optimistically, "But you could. Mommy could stop taking that pill and she could be pregnant in January and have the baby in September."

I'm sure my eyes must have bugged out. "What pill?"

"That pill," she said. "The one that makes it where you can't have babies."

"Oh, that pill," I said.

"Yeah. And this time Cole and I are old enough to vote on the name."

"No sweetheart," I said as mildly as I could. "Mommy and daddy get to choose the name."

"I know, but we can make suggestions."

"No. Mommy and daddy will choose a good name."

Then she breathed a disappointed sigh.

"But sweetheart," I tried to reassure her, "Mommy and daddy aren't ready to have another baby."

"I know," she said, dejected.


I couldn't believe she had such understanding about the process. I half expected her to start giving me instructions on how to "do it" to ensure we get a boy.

I'm starting to believe that my daughter is smarter than me. I mean... a lot smarter.

No comments: