Ok, every now and then I have these really weird dreams that are quasi predictive. For example, when I was a freshman in college I dreamed that my girlfriend at the time was going to break up with me. Weird huh? Is it less weird that the dream happened about two weeks after she dumped me?
So as I have said a couple of time recently, I have been promoted to a new position. And in this new job they have been busting my ass with nothing-work. In my last job, which I didn't particularly care for, I had a lot of down time. I did a good deal of work, but I had a lot of down time. Time which I could spend writing for you glorious people of the web world. But now, in my new job, I'm in meetings so much I don't have time to actually do any work. It is getting kind of frustrating.
ANYWAY... I had this dream the other night. In the dream I had decided to finally make the jump from State government to Federal. In this Fed job I got paid a lot more and the hours were slightly better. I was somewhat thrilled at first. Then, my first day on the job, I was told that someone above me had quit and that his position was now open, and did I want it? I said sure, so I got promoted on my first day. So I spent my first day moving my stuff to a new office. On the second day I got to the office and I was told that my department was being moved to another building and would be under another manager, but to compensate me for it I was getting a raise. Another raise, yes. The third day I came in determined to do some work. So I began asking around to find out who my supervisor was and what I needed to be doing. Someone saw me and was so struck by my work ethic that I got promoted again. Only the Fed had so many of this particular position that they didn't actually have an executive office for me. I was told that my desk would be available the following day.
The following day I went to work and spent the better part of the morning wandering around trying to find my office. Well, I didn't get an office. Neither did I get a cubical. What I got was a desk next to the water cooler. And it wasn't a nice desk. It was an elementary school desk with the open front. And my first duty in this new, executive position, was to clean out a toilet in the bathroom on that floor. Reluctantly I acquiesced and went to the bathroom to clean. Apparently some people were upset with how I had skyrocketed through promotions so about 10 people had gone #2 in the toilet. And when they had run out of room there they did an upper-decker. In case you don't know what an upper-decker is it's when you take a dump in the back part of the toilet. The only reason anyone would ever do this is because they are sick as hell. I mean, yeah it's funny... it's hilarious... but not if I have to clean it.
So now I'm worried that this is the future state of my job. Running around constantly, but never doing much besides cleaning up other people's shit.
Sounds about right actually.
Resumes Sent: 4
Stories Sent: 4
Stories Rejected: 3.5
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment