You know, it’s probably not a good idea to spend a lot of
time near people who scare the shit out of you.
Even if you know that person isn’t going to harm you and would never
harm you. There are some people who are
always talking dooms day scenarios and watching the clock tick toward
midnight. Or those who are certain that
Ebola is somewhere on their desk. Or
adamant that crime is flowing into the neighborhood and anyone could be next.
These people are entitled to their stupid opinions. I have my own. But if this kind of talk frightens you then
maybe this kind of person isn’t good to be around. (I'm saying this to me).
I’m old; 42 – almost 43.
When I was in first grade Ronald Reagan was elected president. Everything I heard about at the first grade
water cooler was nuclear war. Most days
I could push the thought to the back of my mind and cover it with some kind of
mental blanket where my brain couldn’t see it and I couldn’t think about
it. But as soon as one of my classmates
said “war” or “nuclear” or “Russians” or “Soviets” or “communists” my brain
went to that awful place of terror.
I wasn’t imagining nuclear war. I was too young to have any concept of what
that would entail. I didn’t imagine
anything and that was the problem. I was
frozen in fear. My brain was like a
computer stuck in an endless logic loop.
I was nothing but afraid. These
feelings could last a day or two. If I
was unlucky and heard such talk at just the right intervals in times the fear could kill a
week. I would get in trouble at school for
not doing my work. But I was afraid to
tell the teacher that I was too afraid to do the work. My mind would not stop being afraid of
nuclear war.
It wasn’t until third or fourth grade that I finally had
enough of it and I went and told the great source of reason and authority in my life, my father. He could see the terror in my eyes and he
told me that I had nothing to worry about.
He said that no one really wants nuclear war and the odds of it every
happening were extremely slim. I don’t
remember what time of year or day it had been or what the temperature was
before, but suddenly the sun rose and it was a summer Saturday morning. I went outside and played. I wish I had said something to him years earlier. Positive thinking and hope made
everything better.
People don’t act when they are terrified. They react.
Or they do nothing. It’s not a
healthy place to be.
Obviously sometimes we are forced to act in situations of
terror. You cannot control life. But you can control who you surround yourself
by. So if you have a person who is
constantly taking you to that place of terror, whatever your place is, and
halting your peace and ease of living and your comfort with no positive talk of solutions
or ideas or hope then perhaps you don’t need to be around that person.
I’m 42, as I have said.
I’ve been working for my boss for about 7 or 8 years. Generally speaking he is a rational and funny
guy. But ever since Donald Trump was elected
he has been all talk of war with China and the end of days and Russian
subterfuge and hopeless and worry and kids and grandkids and a world with no
future. You get the picture. He says it with a laugh as though he has overcome
the worry. But so did the kids in first
grade. They wanted to hoist their worry
onto someone else and hope that person could carry it for them.
I’m hearing this doom talk from a lot of different places
and I’m feeling like a helpless first grader again. And I think I’ve had just about enough of
it. I’m tired of worthless worry
talk. I’m ready to think positive and
act positive and try and find solutions to the problem rather than tossing my
worry off onto other people.
But it does leave me with a job dilemma. My heart cannot take this talk anymore. Logically I know how to cope with it when it comes, but for a few minutes every time I hear it I'm taken back to that place of terror.
I know what you’re thinking, “Michael, you’re a grown man, suck
it up.” You’re right. And I probably will. But this is one more straw, and a rather
large straw, on the back of a camel that already doesn’t want to be carrying
this job around.
(solutions to follow)

No comments:
Post a Comment