So I’m reading Stephen King’s On Writing. So far so good. But one of the things he repeats and makes
pretty clear is that in order to be a writer you must write.
When I started this blog it was – ostensibly – to become a
writer. You might have guessed this from
the title. But it was more specifically
to become a writer at [adult swim] the grown up/night time version of Cartoon
Network. To that end I wrote every day,
or nearly every day, for a year or so.
Then I got frustrated and distracted, as I’m known to do, and I left the
blog for a while. Then I came back,
left, came back, started several other blogs, left, came back and left.
Now I’m back, and this time I think I’m here for good; for
better or worse.
But I didn’t just “leave” the blog. I stopped writing. When the blog started I had gotten into a
habit of writing in it every day and I saw my writing flourish. Then I got involved in a book I was writing
and my blogging stopped. Then I stopped
working on the book, but I never came back to my writing.
Let me rephrase: I am almost always creating. There are some days when I don’t because I’m
too busy with work/family/Skyrim. But
most days I have some kind of creative output.
And frequently that is writing. I
write a song. I write a poem. And some days I write haikus to put in my
kids’ lunches. If I’m not writing then I’m
drawing or developing back story for something.
But those are excuses.
I should be writing, formally/semi-formally every day. I should be putting words in a cohesive order
to express an idea every day. Not
necessarily a story. Not necessarily
long. But every day, putting something
down.
So that’s what I’m gonna do.
For my 43 year (which begins soon, but I’ll go ahead and start now) I’m
gonna write in this blog every weekday.
I will attempt to write on the weekends too, but my access to a computer
is more limited on the weekends. But
Monday through Friday I will be posting to this blog.
I hope you enjoy.

No comments:
Post a Comment