Monday, May 11, 2009

Question and a REVIEW and ADVICE

Ok, so I eat granola bars. And yes, I know they are not really all that healthy for you. Basically you have SOME oats with a whole bunch of chocolate chips and/or peanut butter chips and/or raisins all mush into a bar and glued together with honey. But it will kill you slower than a Snickers.

So my favorite flavor is the Chocolate Chip from Quaker Chewy Granola bars. Now recently I noticed that the box of these bars said they were 25% less sugar. YEAH! Slightly less bad for me. But then I looked at the nutritional information and I saw that they still had 90 calories. Well Quaker's Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola bar has been 90 calories for about 3 years now (perhaps more, but I didn't care before then).

The calories are still the same. That doesn't mean that the 25% sugar was not removed. It just means that they have substituted something else for it that is the exact same amount of calories. That could actually work to my advantage. More oats means more healthiness. Perhaps more vitamins and minerals. So I looked at that too. No, the nutritional information is exactly the same as before. Same fiber, same pathetically low vitamin count.

What's new? IF the 25% sugar was taken out of a 90 calorie snack food and the calories stayed the same, something must have been added to account for those calories. But whatever it was they added has no nutritive value at all.

REVIEW:
TASTE TEST for Quaker's (new 25% less sugar) Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bar:
B minus 25%

as you might have guessed it is about 25% less good than before. before the granola bars were somewhat hard, though not teeth breaking hard. they were chewy and yummy. now they almost fall apart when you are opening the wrapper. clearly the sugar they removed was some form of glue. and if my taste buds are correct what they have decided to use as a granola glue - instead of sugar - is GLUE.

Boo, Quaker. Boo.

Here is some ADVICE for your marketing people:

If you are going to remove 25% of what makes your product good in an effort to make your product more healthy 2 things need to happen:

1. Your product should ACTUALLY BECOME MORE HEALTHY.
2. Your product shouldn't become more shitty.

2 comments:

S said...

Oh my! It has been far too long since I have been online and read your super laughy posts!
SO far the cat hair hoodie and women's restroom experience are my fav.
Hope you and your family are having a fantastic summer! Thanks for your blog.

S said...

Oh my! It has been far too long since I have been online and read your super laughy posts!
SO far the cat hair hoodie and women's restroom experience are my fav.
Hope you and your family are having a fantastic summer! Thanks for your blog.