Thursday, October 25, 2007

Waking up Late

You know, I recommend it to everyone: waking up late.

I woke up at 7:38am today. I'm supposed to be at work at 8:00am and I have an hour commute; not to mention the time it takes to get ready (about 10 minutes).

I was late.

Truth is, my carpool called, which is the only reason I woke up that early, and I instantly knew I was late. There's just something about that feeling of waking up refreshed when you know good and well you got to bed late, and by all rights you should feel like hell. Well I woke up feeling like a million bucks. Ok, I have no idea what a million bucks feels like. I woke up feeling like 2800 bucks, tax free.

Then came the problems. Technically I took Tuesday off because my kids were sick, and technically I have a job interview tomorrow for a promotion (that I don't really want). So it isn't exactly a good day to call in sick or be late.

But I felt great! So it didn't matter!

I hopped out of bed and told my wife, who was also quite late at this point, that I would feed the kids, which I did. Then when I told them they were late my daughter started crying. She gets really upset about things like being late. This is probably because she's too young to understand how important it really is. So, rather than leave the kids to my wife and get to work just a little late, I took my daughter to school and missed the last bus into the city.

Now I was looking at being almost two hours late to work. But I still felt great!

So I was driving along on this crisp, chilly morning, running two hours late and just feeling peachy. I rolled the window down and smelled the fresh morning air. It smelled awesome. There's just something better about the air outside when everyone else is at work. It smells fresher, or perhaps freer. It smells like playing hookey and that smells fantastic.

So I recommend that everyone wake up late, or better yet, take a sick day. YOU DESERVE IT! Sabatoge your clock. Change am to pm and pretend it was a mistake. Unplug it and convince your spouse that the power went out over night.

And if you get fired don't even try to sue me. You knew it was a bad idea from the beginning.

2 comments:

singinghawk said...

I wake-up late every morning....it's called overtime for me. Sleep is my livelihood and I have make a decent career out it. Just worked another 12 hour shift! it's tough, but someone has to do it.

aintshakespeare said...

Sleep is kind of my career. I work for the government.

But I have seen your art, AnaBananacita, it is quite good. So if that isn't your career then at least you have it to fall back on. If someone should remove the bed, that is.