Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lucy's Pumpkin

I watched It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown this week. I have to say that Lucy has some mad pumpkin carving skills. I mean, her designs are kind of simple, but did you see how fast she accomplished it? She just stuck the knife in, spun it around, and BAM! You'd think she was passing a warm knife through butter.

Last night I helped my kids carve their pumpkins, which basically means I carved two pumpkins. These things aren't exactly easy to carve. It took me five minutes just to get the lid off of my daughter's pumpkin. I cut a circle around the top just like I always do and the damn thing wouldn't come out. I even stuck a spatula in the slit I had cut to try and wedge the top off, but it snapped my spatula in two.

A little background: my kids got their pumpkins from my in-laws. Now my father-in-law is pretty even keeled about these things, though conservative to be sure, but my mother-in-law is so conservative-Christian that she won't even use the term Easter. She calls it resurrection Sunday. And the notion of celebrating Halloween is anathema to her. I just know that she did research and found the most uncarvable pumpkins around. There's probably some Christian Pumpkin website where you can buy Jack-o-lantern Free Pumpkins. It probably has little cherub angels floating around with harps saying, "We've grown the devil out of these pumpkins."

Well, the joke is on them. Because I carved those damn things. And sure, I might have lost a spatula in the making, but I carved those pumpkins into the most wicked jack-o-lanterns you've ever seen. One is in the shape of this cute googly eyed bat and the other is Spiderman.

No comments: