Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Frustration

So today I thought I would throw some pics at you.

This is my project corner. It would be wrong to think that this represents all of the unfinished projects that I have floating around the house. It would also be wrong to think that because I have this neat little basket and night stand for my stuff that my wife doesn't mind the projects being housed here. Quite the contrary.

I watched the show "Hoarders: Buried Alive" this weekend. I think I may be a project hoarder.

What is under the night stand is just books; what you expect to find in a night stand. However, on top represents projects I'm kind of presently working on. I say "kind of" because I haven't done any work on them in about a month.

The basket in the back represents the bulk of my unfinished work with the black shoulder bag being those things that are important enough for me to carry them around in case I get a moment to work on them. (I rarely do).

Within the basket are probably fifty projects ranging from notes next to a doodle to folders with projects that are deep into production/development. sigh.

I had intended to go through my projects this weekend to make a comprehensive list for you folks and to pick out two or three that I thought I might be able to use in my challenge. But I also wanted to get my son a new box spring.


I did a sloppy job of measuring his mattress, assuming that these things were standard and that I could be equally as sloppy at the store. His mattress is 38" wide by 74" long. I also measured my car to ensure that it would fit. It was perfect! The back of my car was just right to fit the box spring.

I went to the store and found the prefect box spring. I measured it sloppily and found that it was near enough. I was just about to take it when I noticed a giant orange mark on the side. So I looked around a found a box spring nearby for the same price and I assumed it was the same.

For some reason I did not question that the box spring did not fit into my car, though the measurements said that it should. I assumed it was just a situation of bad luck on my part. Since it did not fit I had to ride with it hanging out my back window which meant I could not take the interstate, which meant a 20 minute drive home became an hour drive home.

Well, as you can tell from the picture above I was wrong by about 3 inches. The gap you see there is where the edge of his bed is separated from the frame. I was so mad! I cussed at the box spring a good bit, which made it cry, but I didn't care because I felt it had misrepresented itself in the store.

I was just about to throw my hands up in despair when I decided to check Isabella's bed. Her box spring was the perfect size and her bed frame was not as confining as Cole's. So I swapped the box springs. Bella got a brand new box spring and Cole got a 4 year old hand me down - which is still much better than what he had. I told them they both got new box springs. I'm a terrible daddy.

Anyway, that rot took about 4 hours of my day and I had intended it to take 1. My holiday was blown. I had about 1.5 hours left before I had to get the kids and my back yard grass was literally 2 feet tall. I had to mow it. It took about an hour. But while I mowed I found four of these:


Lucky me.

No comments: