Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Button Rebellion

I hate "business attire."

The very concept of making yourself less comfortable so you can go do something you really don't want to be doing is absurd. If anything, we should be dressing down for work.

I suppose it might be easier to wear clothes you hate if you love your job and care about keeping it. Or maybe I'm just a child. I hate wearing ties, and matching clothes. And I've never polished my shoes. I just can't get into that part of adulthood.

My normal attire to work is a pair of nice slacks and a shirt that probably isn't ironed and is definitely several seasons out of style. But lately my clothes have been rebelling against me. Like a plague my shirts have been dropping the second button from the collar:


These are just a few examples. It is rampant in my closet.

And no, it has nothing to do with weight gain. I don't have fat clavicles. Is that even possible?

Losing a button is always a pain in the ass, but losing this particular button is the worst. See, not even I will go to work with two buttons undone. That's super 70s and it's tacky. I just can't do it. So that means if I'm going to wear these shirts I have to wear a tie. In case I didn't mention it before, I hate wearing ties. But the people in my office think that I'm starting to "come around" to business attire.

NO! My clothes are rebelling against me.

I guess I should take these shirts to the cleaners and have them sew buttons back on. But then the cleaners is just going to clean them and press them and starch them and they'll look super nice and everyone in my office is going to think I'm finally fitting in.

You just can't win.

1 comment:

S said...

I never thought of taking clothes with missing buttons to the cleaners! Genius! I've got a bag full of my husbands clothes with that problem and I keep thinking I'll get around to doing it myself, but I have no buttons. Nor do I really have any desire to sew.
Thanks for the tip!