Monday, April 19, 2010

Pain

I didn't work out this weekend in the traditional sense. Instead I did yard work, and I think I got a lot more exercise than if I had just lifted weights.

I started out by plugging in my brand new clippers and trimming my front hedges which were way out of control. I say "were" which is a huge lie. They still are. I have 3 large hedges. Currently 2 are half done and one is fully untouched. As I was trimming the front of the second hedge I heard a small "pop," saw a flash of a spark and the the clippers died. Instantly I realized the value in the cordless clippers and I felt bad for teasing my father for all of the extension cords he has clipped through the years.

Now I have to decide if I want to go ahead and get the cordless clippers before I destroy another ten extension cords, of if I can find some way to hold the cord so it doesn't hang right in the way of the monster blades.

On Sunday I dug a 6 inch by 20 foot flower bed to line my side walk. (I'll show pictures when it is complete). I wanted to have it overflowing with petunias and lined with a nice brick wall to keep the good soil in and to keep the damn Bermuda grass (weeds) out. But I bled my garden budget dry already and I still have to get weed Round Up for the kudzu and ant hill killer. So the bricks are a luxury that will have to wait until next year.

In addition it was hard as |cussword| to dig that trench. First I had to get rid of some monster ivy. But even once that was done I had to dig up a ton of rocks. I couldn't believe how many rocks I found. I hauled away about 5 to 6 gallons of rocks. And not little pebble rocks either. These were serious rocks. Most of them were just under the size of a baseball. My only consolation is that this fall when I replace the petunias with pansies the rocks will not be an issue.

Anyway, all that is to say I busted my hump this weekend. Right now my back is sore, my inner thigh is tight, and the inside of my elbow, knee and colon feel suspiciously rebellious. I have a bad feeling that some time tonight, probably around 3am, every muscle in my body is going to revolt.

Hurray for home improvement.

PS. After my gardening work out I weigh 163 pounds. I lost two pounds. Yay.

No comments: