So you know, I am totally over this job. Why I didn't get a job in nuclear engineering like the ASVAB said I should, I will never know. What's the point in getting a 1600 on the SAT if you aren't going to make some money right?
Ok, there are some lies in that last paragraph. But the first sentence was all true. I did not get a perfect score on the SAT and I never took the ASVAB. I abstained from the ASVAB because I didn't want the military propaganda machine to try to pidgeon-hole me into a career that they could manipulate into enlistment in the service.
Just kidding. I never took the ASVAB because I was a band geek and I was off doing band geek things. I think I was trying out for All State Band. I never made it. I did make All State Chorus. Maybe if I had taken the ASVAB and Big Brother had given me some advice on what to do with my life I'd be in a better place right now. But I suppose it could just as easily be worse.
I wonder if the ASVAB would have told me to be a writer. When I was in high school I almost never wrote. And then when I did it was never serious material like now. It was always silly nonsense. I never would have chosen writing as career for myself back then. Then again, I'd have never chosen a career in state government for myself back then either. The difference is, I wouldn't choose state government now.
Is there anyone out there who IS in a job that the ASVAB suggested? And if so, do you enjoy it?
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment