There were about 5 jobs advertised for Cartoon Network on Time Warner today. I went ahead and put in my resume for all of them. I know that applying for a job on line is really a terrible way to find a job, but it has to work sometimes, right? Otherwise, why would they keep posting?
Anyway, I'm not about to stop my letter writing campaign. I just saw those jobs listed and I thought I'd give it a whirl. The downside is they are all short term "training" positions. They last a maximum of 11 months, potentially less. I'd really have to bust my hump to show my worth and to learn the job so they might keep me on. But even if I do famously, and they like me, and they have room, there is still the possibility that I won't get hired on. Some executive's niece could get the job and I'd be out of work. Still, if it were offered to me I would very quickly quit my current job and go. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
So now I will take a poll of which job searching method is most likely to land me a job with Turner Broadcasting. Just respond by posting a comment to this entry. Do you think I am more likely to land a job through 1. my letter campaign, 2. applying through Timewarner.com, 3. via Networking, or 4. Other.
To be fair I should let you know that I have applied for about 10 jobs in the last 2 years through Time Warner, some I was very qualified for, some I was not. I have never even gotten an interview, not even an acknowledgement. Also, I have made a contact inside Cartoon Network via Networking. A friend of my mother's knew a lady who was a producer for Cartoon Network's Latin America division. I had an extended e-mail exchange with her in which I was very cordial and never pushy. We arranged an approximate date and time for me to come in and meet her as well as get a tour and hang out for a day. But as the date loomed closer and closer she got silent. She never gave me a specific time. Then two weeks later she e-mailed me and said that she got busy and told me she would contact me again soon. I never heard from her again and I e-mailed her four more times. And my letter writing campaign you are quite familiar with. So which do you think is most likely to work?
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment