You cannot manufacture creativity. But you can provide the proper environment for it. I believe that everyone has creativity within them. However, some people, feeling a desire to be creative, will nurture it, putting themselves in situations that are likely to recall that creativity. I think that is why some people live under the delusion that drugs make you creative. When you take a drug for the first time you are experiencing something new. And newness always inspires. So you feel creative. But it is just the newness of the feeling that has caused the creative flux, not the drug. You would illicit the same feeling from taking a morning mountain walk for the first time, or have a first romantic encounter.
Other people, I believe, are not attracted to the feeling of creation, or perhaps they are repulsed by it, so they do not nurture it, and it remains dormant. This is only sad if it makes you sad. I have had some friends compare themselves to me and say that they did not wish to write because they could never write like me. On the other hand I have had "friends" who have made it very clear that they were unimpressed by my writings, and they did not wish to be subject to them any longer. To my friends who have abandoned a creative outlet because they cannot compare to someone else I say what a shame. If you wish to write the only way to improve is to write. If you want to BE something you will not become it by dreaming about becoming it, unless you want to be a dreamer. Only by BEING that thing will you become it. Just start writing and one day you will realize you are a writer. To those "friends" I have that think I suck I say good for you for having an opinion and being bold enough to tell me to my face in front of other friends and while I'm performing at my house where you were invited and didn't have to come and you knew that I would be performing here. Clearly your opinion is wrong, but it is yours, and perhaps it is the beginning of a kind of creativity; a cinical creativity for bastards and fat asses, but a creativity nonetheless.
Anyway, I say all of this to say how much I hate going to websites, especially favorite websites, and finding that nothing has changed. There are several websites I visit on a daily basis to see what new stuff has popped up, and a couple that I visit weekly or even monthly. I am always colossally disappointed when I go and find that nothing new has been posted. Some of these site belong to huge companies. Some of these sites MUST have a bankroll. Some of these sites are for companies that center around creative output. So where is the excuse for not having something new for me to consume? There is none.
I do make an effort to have something new to read at least every week, but I think I do much better than that. And I hope what I post is entertaining. Still, I do understand your frustrations when you come to this Eldorado of Internet Humor only to find that I have posted nothing. I understand and I share your grief. I also get frustrated when I show up to this site and find that no one has bothered to post or anything. I get pretty angry with myself. And I get angry with you. All this reading and complaining, and yet you never post. Would it kill you?
If you are afraid it might kill you, but you post anyway, then you are a truly brave person. Not too bright, but very brave. And, I might just have a prize of questionable value for such a person. No, I'm not bribing you to post. Afterall, I also might NOT have something special for you. It all really depends on how cool your post is and/or how hot you are.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, my posts usually suck and I definitely don't fall into the "hot" category either... but I guess I'll post anyway.
You can't let people who don't/can't appreciate genius get you down. You know that you're incredibly talented, especially at making up words like "collosally."
That's really crappy that someone was invited to your house and then insulted you. I hope you scared them with some ninja moves and they got poop sprinkles and then friggin booked.
Hey! I spelled colossally right.
The crappy guy in question is a big fat fat ass. At family gatherings (when I was much younger) my parents used to ask me to pick up the guitar and sing a tune or two. I always obliged and I always thought everyone enjoyed it.
The more my parents made me do it the more I started to feel like these friends of theirs were a "captured audience," and that they really didn't care to hear me. I grew more reluctant each time. Then this bohemoth of a man with a rodent's brain made a big show about walking out and not wanting to hear it and yadda, yadda, yadda. That put the kibosh on my playing just about totally.
Even though this thundering butt-sucker was, and still is, totally a tool, I don't really blame him. I had a feeling he was not the only one who felt the way he did.
And he is literally two of me, so I doubt my ninja skills would have produced the poop sprinkles. Did you ever read any old X-men comics? And if you did, do you remember the Blob? This guy is not really much like him, but he is a huge dick.
Post a Comment