Monday, August 21, 2006

savings

So I've never really done much saving. I'll be honest and tell you exactly how much I have in my savings account. It's a little bit more than zero dollars. Well, actually, it's exactly zero dollars. But I've decided to take the plunge and begin investing towards my future. I have looked at my budget considering all of the following: the probability of increasing gas prices, the rise of interest rates, the likelihood of the federal government repealing child labor laws so my children can earn their keep, the likelihood of Martians attacking, and the marketability of my Snow in a Box invention; and I have decided that I can afford to put away approximately $0.20 a day. The good news is I should have a three month salary cushion built up in just 40 days. By 40 days I really mean 40,000 days. I should have a three month cushion built up by the year 2115.

Naturally this is not considering interest. With interest I will be able to shave a good 50 to 55 years off of that. I won't even be 90 yet. Already I feel like a financial guru.

I wonder if you can start a 401K with twenty cents. I'm totally psyched.

No comments: