It is 3:30 in the morning and I am up because apparently there is no over the counter cough suppresent cool enough to work all night long.
I have taken Day-Quill in the mornings and it has done a decent job of lasting throughout the day. Well, about 7 hours or so. But once I lay down I start to hacking and I cannot stop.
I took some Ni-Quill one night and some Tylenol the next. But I really can't afford to be experimenting with meds. I need something that will keep me from coughing while I'm asleep.
Sitting up = fine.
Laying down = coughing like I have the plague.
I'm so flippin' tired. All I want to do is sleep. But as soon as I lay down I can feel something in the back of my throat, almost in my chest, start to vibrate or itch or get irritated in some way, and I start coughing.
I haven't gotten a good nights sleep in four days. I'll be skipping work tomorrow so that I can go to the doctor and get some kind of codine or something that can last through the night.
*sigh*
*cough*
dammit
*cough, cough, cough, cough,-hack, hack-cough*
Oh yeah, I can't use my vocal chords for anything without coughing. I have to whisper and only say about two or three words at a time, then pause. I'm sure this thrills my wife as my stupid jokes and puns are at an all time low.
*place where a sigh would be perfect, but I just can't*
Anyway, on a lighter note I have finished my first animation. It is nothing special. It's about 30 seconds long and it is mostly a static logo, but it is technically animation. The logo shrinks and there is flowing water within it. It isn't great, but it is not bad for a first I think. I'll try to get it on the net so you guys can watch it.
Well, if I'm gonna be awake I might as well be watching Family Guy.
nite
Monday, January 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Ah, there really isn't anything to get you motivated to get things done like that feeling of drowning you get when you lay down sick. Good luck at the doctor's. I hope you get some sleep today.
Yeah, except I finally fell asleep at about 5 and didn't wake up until 10:30. And when I called my doctor she was all booked up until tomorrow. What a bitch.
I've had enough of that woman's attitude. If she want's me to cough for her this time she's gonna have to grab my balls.
You poor thing. I'm really sorry that you feel so bad. You picked a good day to be out- it's been crazybusy here. So did you make an appointment for tomorrow?
You know they get paid to grab your balls, right? And doctors don't have a safety word to let go. My doctor is 20 miles away, so when I feel the cold, listless grasp of death chilling over my bronchial tubes, I go to the free clinic, making sure the receptionist sees me lick my hands and start touching everything. Crazy? Maybe. Effective? Definitely.
I did make the appointment for tomorrow at 10:40. But I don't know if I'll go because I've already missed so much work.
And regarding the Free Clinic I don't think it is such a good idea. In the south people are ultra conservative and they always find a way to charge you for something.
"Sir, the service here is free."
"Yes, but how much will it cost me?"
"Ten dollars."
"I see."
"A pound."
We had a Free Clinic when I lived in Athens. It's where I went to get my blood test to get married. I know the phlebotomist was totally annoyed with me, but I felt compelled to ask about ten times if she was sure the needle was clean. Rebecca thought it was sweet that I also asked for, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. I'm pretty sure they used the same needle.
FIX:
Rebecca thought it was sweet that I asked for HER...
The reason you're coughing so much when you lie down is the post-nasal drip from your sinus tickling the back of your throat and initiating your cough reflex. Try propping your head up with 3 or 4 pillows and try to sleep in an almost sitting position. Not the most comfortable but at least it's better than hacking to death.
Yeah, I figured that was the problem. I actually have tried sleeping on a mountain of pillows, but I just can't get comfortable. I'm pretty much a fetal position sleeper, so lying on my back lasts for about ten minutes. Then my sleeping body rolls on over.
The last three nights I've had to retreat to the couch where I can sort of sit up with my back to the couch's arm, and sort of lean against the back of the couch. I still hacked up one of the lords of the hoary netherworld lastnight, but at least it was just one. The night before I hack up a whole bluegrass band of daemons. It was the best concert I've seen in ages.
Ok, I'm concerned that you don't have a follow-up post---or maybe that's a good thing?
I have been googling symptoms the last several nights b/c I CANNOT lie down without going into cough convulsions. I'm miserable!
Last week my MD said I had pneumonia and gave me a shot in the buns and a round of antibiotics and some little pills to numb my lungs to resist the urge to cough. Thing is---I haven't been able to sleep/rest in days and whenever I call to explain that this cough is killing me, they just keep telling me that coughing is good and it's what'll help me get over pneumonia.
I'm crying because I'm so tired and just want to sleep, but I can't get over these "attacks."
WHAT did you find out?
Everything else I've tracked down on here is older than hell or suggests I do an enema? haha.
Ok, I'm ultra-tard!
This cough post is from '07!
Sorry! I'm one of those slow-transitioners!
I'll go back and see if there is a follow-up to your cough.
Thanks!
Don't feel bad, Stacy. It's an easy mistake to make.
That illness last year was horrible. One of the worst coughing illnesses I've ever had. I couldn't get over it because I couldn't sleep. If you read some later posts you'll find that even Codeine did not work. It worked for a short period of time, but I still woke up coughing at all hours. I tried whiskey one night. It made me sufficiently drunk, and I didn't feel like coughing, but I still woke up coughing in the middle of the night.
That illness lasted about 2 weeks and the week of coughing was the worst. I eventually got over it, but I don't think I would give credit to any of the medications I took. It is possible that they made the coughing I could have potentially had better, but they did NOT stop the coughing.
Staying hydrated was a big help. And I kept a glass of applejuice by my bed. Better than water because it was easier to drink with a scratchy throat and it coated.
Good luck getting well. Go to the doctor if you can.
Hi again---
This is your sick (literally, not in a perverted way) fan, Stacey.
Thanks for the response to my earlier comments and THANKS for having one of the raddest blogs I've read in a long time!!
My husband I are avid bloggers. Problem is, we have a 14 month old daughter and I work at home, so my posts for the last year have been short and retarded. My husband has about 5 different blogs and is entertaining but I live with him. haha.
I've been reading him posts from your blog this afternoon over the phone while he is on the road for work. I'm sure that with my wheezing and whispering and coughing he isn't getting the full effect, so I've e-mailed him your link and posted to it on my blog as well. Have a fabulous day and send healthful vibes my way, please!
That's cool. The vibes have already been sent.
And thanks for the positive comments. Always great to hear that someone has enjoyed what normally just makes my wife shake her head.
Get well.
Post a Comment