Monday, January 29, 2007

It wasn't mud...

...and I knew when he said that it was mud that it wasn't mud.

My son has a stomach virus. The poor kid.

It actually started last week. Thursday night he didn't want to go to sleep, but what else is new - he's 3. Rebecca was tired from a long week of handling the kids by herself (I had been sick), so I was trying to take care of him. Anyway, he called for mommy and I went in to see if he was ok.

"What do you need sweetheart?"
"I want mommy, my tummy hurts."
Naturally I saw this as an excuse to stay awake.
"Are you thirsty?" I asked, trying to redirect.
"Yeah."
"Do you want some cool-aid?"
"Yeah."

So I went downstairs and came back up with some cool-aid. It was blue.

Half an hour later he called for mommy again.

"Mommy's asleep, dude. What can I get for you?"
"Mommy."
"Do you need a story?" I asked. Rebecca usually reads him his stories while I read to his sister. However, that night he had fallen asleep on the couch so he hadn't gotten any stories.
"Yeah," he said.
So I read him two fairly long stories. When I was finished he said, "My tummy hurts."
"Ok," I said. "I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning. Try and get some sleep."

So being the good boy he is he lay his head on the bed and tried to sleep. But thirty minutes later he was crying for mommy again. Only this time he was being loud and I was afraid he was going to wake Rebecca up. I didn't want that because she needed to sleep.

"What's the matter now?" I asked curtly.
"I want mommy," he cried.
"She's asleep. And you need your sleep too," I fussed. "Why do you keep trying to wake her up?"

At that moment a tidal wave of blue cool-aid and yuck came spewing forth from his mouth. And, of course, before I could blink mommy was rubbing his head and comforting him. She got to comfort him. I got to change the yak sheets.

So anyway, as digestive viruses do, his moved from the top to the bottom. And this Sunday morning I was awakened by him calling from his bed. "Mommy? Mommy! I got mud on me."

Well, now Rebecca is sick at home "making mud." I'm sure I'll have it within the week. Anyone want to lay odd on what day I'll get it?

6 comments:

Charles E. Dapper said...

Seeing as how you were all laid up on the anti-biotics a little while ago, I'd like to put a fiver down on Wednesday night, about 8:30.

aintshakespeare said...

LOL!

Ok, we've got one for Wednesday, 8:30.

I hope that is 8:30pm. I'm at work by 8:30am and I work an hour from home. The last thing I need is to be sitting at work when my stomach decides to rebel.

Does anyone want to put money on Tuesday or Thursday?

Anonymous said...

I'll go Thursday. But I'd also like to wager that you're the bastard who gave this to them.

aintshakespeare said...

I didn't give my kids the stomach virus. I will take credit for giving them the upper respiratory thing, but not the stomach thing. That was totally given to me by them. I'm not the one that crawls around on the floors and plays in the dirt.

Unknown said...

Do not be fooled by his denials, people! If anybody gets sick around here, it is probably his fault! Poor little innocent family!

aintshakespeare said...

No one in my family is innocent. The children are beautiful and cute, but it is a deception that will end your life. They have pointy teeth and Barbies they weild with malice. You will not live.