Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Management

Ok, I've never really been a huge fan of management. I mean, not all managers are bad... yadda, yadda, yadda... and some of my best friends are managers... and I once dated a manager... and if my kid brought home a manager on a date I wouldn't run him out of the house or disown my daughter.

And there is a difference between this kind of manager over here, and this kind over here.

(becoming more stereotypical redneck)

See, this kind here werk hard and know thrr business and get things done. I got no beef with their kind. They do their thing and I do mine. Just as long as they keep to thumselves and don't try to micro manage me.

But this kind over here, they ain't good fer nuthin'. Takin' credit for other people's work. Gettin' paid outrageous for doin' less then me. I cain't stand it.

(Dixie moon sets and the werehick morphs back into regular old me)

At a meeting yesterday one of my least favorite managers showed her true colors. She's the kind of lady who's less concerned about being the boss and more concerned about bossing people around. I feel lucky that I no longer work under her.

Anyway, this was an actual conversation from a meeting we had. Here is a very limited background:

We (the IVR team) are upgrading out telephone Interactive Voice Response system. When we did the first phase a year ago we were plagued with delays because of unforseen issues. The IVR team is made up mostly of management level business personal, with a few people like me sprinkled in.

Project Manager: We have a plan about how we are going to proceed with this process... (and he gives a detailed explanation of the plan)... In July we will be inviting GTA and Bell South to do an on site walk through so that they can actually see what we are doing and where we are going. We don't want this to be a surprise to either of them. I have already explained our plans to my contacts at GTA (Georgia Technological Authority) and he says our plan sounds doable.

The Aforementioned Manager, Who is Not the Project Manager: (interrupting) I just want to be sure that GTA and Bell South are on the same page as us and to see that this is doable. You know.


The project manager looked at her like he didn't understand. And he probably didn't. He didn't understand how she could have actually appeared to be listening to him, but heard nothing!

He went on to assure her that this is what he was talking about and when he finished she said emphatically, as though she had won some battle, "Ok, now I think we're on the same page." And I know that she's going to go back and tell her boss that she saved the damn day.

Scarry Fact: Her boss is retiring and she may well take his place. Shudder.

No comments: